Sunday, June 15, 2008

Gnome file associations, AIR and ZIP

I thought I'd conquered the black-box that is gnome file association configuration (see http://darrendev.blogspot.com/2008/05/gnome-whether-under-redhat-or-ubuntu-is.html)
but I'm stuck again.

Since installing Adobe AIR for linux it has associated itself with zip files. So the icon is now AIR, and the default action is to open AIR (and so when I double-click a zip file it gives me an error saying this isn't an AIR file). The only way I can open zip files is by right-clicking them now.

How do I remove that association and restore archive manager? I don't know. AIR hasn't installed anything in /usr/share/mime. And I cannot see anything in the myriad of configuration directories that live under my home directory. So, where else does gnome get its file association information from?

Please help!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Were you able to solve this? I Googled for "gnome file associations" (without the quotes) and found this.

Alex said...

Often loss of information occurs on next reasons:viruses,hackers and system errors,to my mind in similar situation there is way-check zip file integrity,tool helped myself and friends not once,has free status as far as I can see,it permits to repair corrupted archives with *.zip extension,solve errors on example-CRC error and Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive,program for check repair zip file and check integrity of zip file uses several different algorithms for crc check fix zip file and data recovery, that is why, the process will take some time, according to CPU performance and file size,program will work under all supported versions of this operating system,will keep initial structure of your archive as well as original names of files and directories,check repair zip file can check why zip file is corrupted and work with password protected archives, but you should know this password.